Monday, August 20, 2012

Paleo - Week One

Well, I'm really diving into this crazy "cult" (in Robb Wolf's words). I finished reading the Paleo Solution, I listened to a recent episode of the Joe Rogan Experience with Robb Wolf as the guest (check it out, free on iTunes) and made it through my first week of Paleo. I started Saturday the 11th. It's not my first attempt at Paleo but I felt more focused and more dedicated to really trying it this time.

I'm not going to lie. The first week was TOUGH. First problem, I was on call at work so the added stress of that make it tough but I stuck it out and did fairly well. My only cheats were; 2 packets of Italian dressing that I stretched across 4 salads and this last Saturday I made some Paleo cookies with Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (gluten, dairy, & soy free) and coconut flour.

I felt really tired most of the first week and there were times that I wanted to throw-up just thinking about eating another vegetable or piece of meat but I am adjusting. I also only went to Crossfit one day last week and it was a day when they had to close early so class was only 1/2 hour. I really didn't do any other physical activity all week but I just felt drained. I did some major sleeping over the weekend and I felt better today.

At about 4:15 pm today I had a surge of energy which is weird for me (especially on a Monday afternoon). I felt like I just wanted to get out of my chair at work and go for a run. I was looking forward to Crossfit to see how I managed with the eating changes. I started out my 400 meter run pretty sluggish and my pull-ups weren't great either. I did okay with my squats but my rowing was pretty decent. I'm chalking up my sluggishness to being off for a week.

I made my first batch of paleo mayo/ranch tonight. I didn't turn out great but not horrible either. I didn't have lemon juice so I used apple cider vinegar. It was...well...vinegary. It helped me to eat my carrots tonight.

Friday is payday and my team at work always goes out to lunch together so hopefully I can make it through that experience with flying colors. I think I'll be safe as long as we don't go to a pizza place because

A. pizza places rarely have much on the menu besides pizza
B. I have a weakness for pizza

I'll keep you posted on how week two is progressing.

P.S. Did I mention I was out of my weight loss slump. Down 10 pounds!!! Go me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment